Friday, November 16, 2012

Restorative Justice, A Healing Community Initiative

By Julie Clarke, Child & Youth Care Practitioner


Restorative Justice has always been an interesting concept to me. The very idea that any one community is able to embrace the concepts of what restorative justice is, is a community I want to live in. Why? Because it demonstrates the power of people, the power of community and continues to ride along the path of something I have mentioned before; the village a child grows up in plays an enormous role in raising that child.

I have done community volunteer work before. As a busy mom to two pre-teen boys, a child and youth counsellor in private practice as well as inpatient/outpatient psychiatry at a local children's hospital how could I possibly have time to do volunteer work? I make time. I believe in giving back to my community. Plain and simple. Therefore I recently sought out a new volunteer opportunity and stumbled upon a community justice initiative in my local county. I pursued this program because of the very nature of what they do. This initiative plays a role in helping people heal, forgive and move forward in their lives. This is a big part of the work I do as a child and youth counsellor as well but my one on one work is not enough.

The Lanark County Community Justice Program defines restorative justice as "a systematic response to wrongdoing that emphasizes healing the wounds of victims, offenders and communities caused or revealed by the criminal behaviour". Healing the wounds of both victims and offenders! For some of you this will be an entirely new concept, how could one possibly even consider playing a role in healing the wounds of someone who wronged you, right? Is that what you are thinking? At the same time your thinking is on par with our cultural norms and views on who an offender is and how they should be treated. So I don't judge you but ask you to please listen up!

As a child and youth counsellor I aim to empower and motivate individuals to seek strengths within themselves. I can do this as an individual working with an individual. Most times I am also working with the families but I can only do so much, I am only one piece of a very large puzzle (see my previous posts where I mention Bronfenbrenner's (1994) Bioecological Theory of Human Development). Opportunities like the community justice initiative do tremendous work in our communities, if these types of programs do not exist then the one piece of the puzzle I am able to do as a mental health care worker is unable to  be maintained adequately. This is especially within the adolescent population! If programs like restorative justice are not available or offered in our communities then we have failed our people; young and old alike! Those who find themselves involved in the justice system are denied opportunities to repent and accept responsibility for their choices. For anyone who has been a part of the justice system be it as an offender, victim or otherwise it is a very difficult and complex system to be involved in. I won't even begin to summarize here the feelings and/or emotions that go along with a justice experience, just know they are not positive.
 http://www.westcoastmen.org/sites/default/files/restorative_justice-handshake.jpg
Community justice initiatives like the restorative justice programs help communities to de-stigmatize.

Imagine. In a time where stigma and mental health are hot topics and in the news regularly, imagine a program that can help de-stigmatize? Imagine a program that can assist in healing individual's both emotionally and mentally, help them restore a sense of health. Imagine a program that could prevent future mental health issues; things like depression even suicide. Would that not be a program you would want to be a part of?

As an offender or a victim imagine sitting in a room with people from your local community, trained facilitators in the restorative justice concepts who have already committed to be non-judgemental, caring and helpful people. Imagine them guiding everyone in the room along and through a process towards healing. This idea is one that when I envision it I see a big community hug; an embrace that at its most primal and basic level is tremendously powerful. It is positive human connection, something we all seek and need in our lives.

There are of course parameters set up in order to ensure these gatherings are successful but if both parties, the victim and the offender are open to what the program has to offer then the outcome can be life-long changes including a decrease in individual shame and self-deprication.

This post was inspired by a wonderful presentation I attended with my young son. It was given in a high school gymnasium with approximately 400+ students. I took my son out of school to attend this event as I felt it was a strong message that he hear at his vulnerable age of 12 years. Please check out the power of foregiveness and healing by Katy Hutchinson. This is her story:



My take home from the presentation was invaluable but with the work I do the thing that warmed my heart the most was that Ryan, the individual whom Katy was able to forgive has moved on with his life. Katy shared with us in the audience that they no longer work together and that Ryan has recently married and is moving forward with his life. Katy expressed that this is right and this is how it has to be. I see Katy as playing a role in this young man's happiness even through her difficult loss. The experience is tragic and the story will never be forgotten but it is what it is and through acceptance she too has been able to move on with her life. We humans have the power to heal one another. 

Happy Restorative Justice Week ! To find out more informatiom about Restorative Justice please go to Correctional Services Canada website at http://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/text/rj/crg-eng.shtml

@BoysNeedtoFeel

 

Sources


http://www.crcna.org/site_uploads/columns/link818_5.jpg
http://www.commjustice.org/ 
http://www.westcoastmen.org/sites/default/files/restorative_justice-handshake.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment